Monday, May 26, 2008

I don’t usually blog about current events, unless they are kink-related and I find them particularly noteworthy. There’s plenty of bona-fide journalists and bloggers doing that already. But people do write and ask me my opinion of this or that, so here’s a brief rundown on what I think:
Presidential politics: I would have been fine with Hilary being president, but her campaign is dead in the water and she should bow out now. The race is the Democrat’s to lose, but God knows, Democrats excel at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, so I’m not assuming Obama is a slam-dunk to win in November. But I hope he does, and I think he’ll do a good job. I am a rather moderate Democrat, but the Bush and his cronies are corrupt incompetents, and the Republicans in general have driven us off a cliff for the last eight years. We need a new regime.
And I’d be pleased to see Hilary as VP. But I have a feeling that when it comes right down to it, she has too much pride to take the job even if she’s offered it.
I’m very pleased about the gay marriage news in California. It is not by any means the final chapter, I imagine there are still years of legal battles ahead, but it’s a great step forward.
I think airlines charging you extra for bags is like sex workers charging you extra for condoms – tacky.
I think Warren Buffet is one smart individual, but I think he shouldn’t say the word “recession” unless what he means is, actually, recession. Surely a man like that can express himself more precisely? Meanwhile, I'm watchful of the situation, but I've been through recessions before in the sex industry, and what I know is: people do not give up their pleasures permanently. I don't like the term recession-proof, that seems like hubris. I think it's entirely possible that I'll have to be a bit more on my game if the US economic situation goes further downhill. But I can do that, so I'm not hugely worried about it.
Would you people just get over seeing Miley Cyrus’s naked back already? Jesus, you’d think she’d been photographed going down on Osama Bin Laden or something. I don’t find those pictures that shocking, but even if you do - she’s fifteen. She’s going to do dumb things occasionally, and the people really to blame are the adults around her. So quit picking on the poor girl, or she’ll wind up like Britney Spears.
Yes, I heard the new Indiana Jones movie is so-so. But I’ll go see it anyway. I mean, it’s Harrison Ford. You have to. But Max and I are both looking forward to the Get Smart movie coming out soon. The TV show was already in reruns when I was a kid, but I loved it.
A story that didn't make headlines, but is nonetheless quite important: my pal Lenora just had a baby girl. Mother and daughter - and Daddy, too - are doing fine. Congratulations!
That’s what I know today.