Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Teknikul Difficulties

I've been having various small computer-related difficulties lately, so I figured I'd put it all out there to ya'll, and some genius would have the answers for me.

Number One: Since I switched to Firefox, I can't get video clips to play. Or rather, sometimes they will, but more often, they won't. Not QT, and not WMP. I figure it's some script-permission thing? Anyone know how to tell FF it's okay to play vid clips?

Number Two: Since my comment system, BlogBack, is going away quite soon, I'm trying to export the comments as an XML file. Blogback is set up to do that, but I keep getting this error message when I try. "XML Parsing Error: not well-formed"
That seems unnecessarily nasty, but I have no idea what it actually means. I don't know jack about XML, so use small, simple words in any instructions you give me.

Number Three: This is a Blogger issue, and yes, I've looked in the Help section. Since I now have to use the Blogger comment system, I want it to look like the BlogBack one, where the comments appear in a pop-up window. However, even though I have supposedly enabled that function - it's not happening. Yes, I've cleared my cache file. Hell, I've rebooted. No dice.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Mistress Matisse said...

test

Stacy J. said...

Re: pop-up comments. Did you read this page?

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1089

It looks like you might just need to swap out some code in your template.

If you still have problems, I would email support http://www.blogger.com/problem.g

Howlin' Hobbit said...

XML is stricter about syntax and such than HTML. It's hard to put it into "25 words or less" but basically it boils down to:

1. The tags have to be properly nested.
2. If there's a definition document (DTD) or schema than the XML has to follow the format the DTD/schema lays out.
3. The document cannot contain certain characters (characters in the range [#x7F-#x9F] other than as character escapes) I suspect this one might be the trip up as I've had no end of grief with them when playing with XML and PHP on my web site.

Here's a pretty good article on the subject:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102160&redir=1